Parks and Peaceful Oasis in the City Centre
The City park is the largest and oldest park in Chomutov. It was completed after the land industrial exhibitions in 1913. The park’s dominant feature is the representative building of the City theatre. In the summer, the park is ideal for enjoying regular brass band concerts.
One of the most charming places in the city historical centre is the atrium in the Centre for Librarian and Cultural services. The renaissance arched courtyard connects the 1.máje square with the buildings of former Jesuit premises. It holds regular and special concerts.
The very end of the city protected architectural area by the Municipal court includes a park with a small botanic garden. The garden provides information about plants common to the Ore Mountains area.
The City park
The largest and oldest park in Chomutov is situated near the historical city centre. Its boundaries are marked by the city swimming pool building and the adjacent summer-sports stadium on one side and by the streets Čelakovského, Zborovská, Buchenwaldská and Boženy Němcové on the remaining sides. The park was established on the site of The Old Lake (Staré jezero). Its origin dates back to the year 1833 when a shooting gallery was built there. Five years later the building was supplemented with a park-style walking route. The largest part was however founded later, in the year 1866, by a city council decree – the area’s unfertile soil and marshlands were converted into the City Park. It was completed after the industrial trade show held in the year 1913. The city shooting gallery building was rebuilt in 1905-6 and converted into the City Theatre – the dominant feature situated on the park’s boundary.
The atrium of the Centre for Librarian and Cultural Services (SKKS) building
It is a renaissance, arcade-style courtyard that joins The 1. máje Square with the SKKS premises that surround it. The atrium and all the buildings which the SKKS premises consist of (the St.Ignatius Church, the „Špejchar“ city gallery and the Centre for Librarian and Cultural Services itself) are parts of a former Jesuit monastery. The monastery was founded in 1590, one year after Jiří Popel z Lobkovic, the Czech Kingdom chief-burgrave, brought the Jesuits in the city. Apart from the buildings that confine the atrium – the Jesuit’s Residence College and the two church buildings (The Špejchar building was the first, St. Ignatius was built later), the monastery also consisted of the nearby-situated Jesuit’s Grammar School (nowadays the Regional Museum). The pleasant atmosphere of the atrium is an ideal setting for many concerts and various social and cultural events.
The partnership pillar
A pillar is situated near the City Park in the pedestrian zone behind the Prior department store, on the walk towards the municipal building, which symbolises the city of Chomutov and its past, present and future. The past is symbolised by the coats of arms of aristocratic families that contributed to the city’s development. The coat of arms’ holders and their merits are listed on one of the marble slabs on the lower part of the pillar. In the middle part of the pillar, the symbols of the European Union, Czech Republic, Ústí region and Chomutov city are situated. They are facing the different points of the compass and symbolise the idea that we live in one city, one region, one country and one continent, the united Europe – and this is the representation of our present times. The second marble is related to the present as well – it lists all the Chomutov’s twin cities (Bernburg, Annaberg-Buchholz and Arenzano) and the dates when the partnership agreements were made. The globe on top of the monument symbolises the idea that we all live on the planet Earth and partnership and friendship among individuals and nations is the planet’s future and ours as well.
Park near the court building with a mini botanical garden
A newly opened park, which boasts a botanical garden and more attractions, is situated on the edge of the historical city centre, in the vicinity of the District Court buildings. Previously, the city cemetery was situated in this area, which was later (at the turn of 20th century) converted into a park – so called Theodor Körner Park with a promenade character. The present park serves not only as a place for a rest and relaxation but also as a mini botanical garden where the visitors may learn about plants typical for the Ore Mountain region and various other species.